Refer to the Global Network
You can refer a question to the Global Reference Network
for an answer when your library needs assistance.
When you refer a question to the Global Network:
- You provide information (called "routing information")
about the question. QuestionPoint uses it to search the profiles
of libraries in the Global Network to find the libraries most qualified
to answer the question.
- You specify who receives the e-mail message when the answering
library sends the answer: the patron only, the patron and the requestor
(your library), or the requestor only.
- You choose from a list of libraries the one that receives
Or, you let QuestionPoint
choose the library automatically.
Begin the procedure
To refer a question to the Global Network for an answer:
- Go to the Full Question.
- In the Refer To drop-down list, select Global Network.
- Click the arrow next to the drop-down list.
displays the Send Question to Global Network page.
Steps on the Send Question to
Global Network page
- Optional: You
can click either of the following buttons at any time if necessary:
- Click Reset to begin again to provide information
about the question.
- Click Cancel to cancel your request and return
to the Full Question.
- Click the Full Question View link to view
all information about the question in a separate window. Resize
and position the window as needed.
- Provide global routing information that describes the question.
- Click one of the following buttons:
Steps after you click the Choose
a Library button
If you click Choose a Library, QuestionPoint
displays the Best Match Results page.
Do one of the following:
Steps after you click the Automatic
If you click Automatic, QuestionPoint
does one of the following:
If QuestionPoint displays the Best Match Results page,
do one of the following:
When QuestionPoint sends your
When it sends the question to a library or to the on-call
- Returns you to the last question list that you viewed.
The list may or may not contain the question that you referred to
the Global Network.
- Changes the status of the question to "pending"
- Changes the status of the question to "referred out
- Places the question in your library's Pending, Referred,
and Active question lists